What is CRAFT?
CRAFT stands for Collaborative Regional Alliance for Farmer Training. The original CRAFT network formed in upstate New York as a way to provide diverse on-farm training and a shared social network for farm interns, apprentices, and employees. The model has been replicated in many other places, and adapted to meet the needs of each particular place.
The Central Alabama CRAFT (like many others) will include farm owners and operators as well as interns, apprentices, and employees.
This effort builds on past efforts to build community and share knowledge – including but not limited to the Central Alabama Farmer Socials, and ASAN’s crop mob workdays and Tailgate Trainings.
Update 5/4/20: All CRAFT events will be held virtually until it is safe to gather in in-person groups. Events will be held via Zoom, and also live streamed on ASAN’s Facebook page. We will do our best to recreate all the best aspects of CRAFT gatherings, in a virtual format.
Also, all registration fees will be waived until further notice. If you can, please support ASAN by becoming a member at http://asanonline.org/join-asan.
We are ready to launch CRAFT after a successful pilot program in 2019! CRAFT days will consist of a farm tour/workshop and will be followed by a potluck social. We’ll be adding dates as we confirm locations!
- Monday, March 9th – Winter Pruning @ Jones Valley Teaching Farm (Birmingham)
> Facebook event page
- Sunday, April 26th – Beekeeping @ Greenlite Apiary (Talladega) — POSTPONED, new date coming soon!
- Sunday, May 17th – Homestead-Scale Poultry Keeping @ McDowell Farm School (Nauvoo) — NOW VIRTUAL
- Sunday, June 21st – Perennial Cut Flowers & Basic Cut Flower Design @ Blue Rooster Farms (Birmingham)
- Sunday, July 26th – Advanced Poultry Production & Processing @ Marble Creek (Sylacauga)
- Sunday, August 23rd – Farm Business Management Panel (Birmingham)
- Sunday, Sept. 20th – TBD @ Dynamite Hill-Smithfield Community Land Trust & Fountain Heights Farm (Birmingham)
- Monday, October 19th – Biodynamic Farming, Luddite Farm (Attalla)
- Sunday, Nov. 15th – Winter Vegetable Production, Ireland Farms (Alpine)
The cost for each event if $5/person if you’re not an ASAN member and free for members. Youth, kids, and babies are welcome, and may attend for free! (Here’s more info about joining!)
Guidelines and Norms for all CRAFT events:
- Please bring your own reusable dishes, cups, silverware, etc., for the potluck, if possible! Disposable supplies will be available for folks who forget, but help us keep their use to a minimum!
- Please be mindful of the potential to spread animal/plant pathogens between farms, on footwear/clothing and vehicles. Please clean farm boots and clothing, and ideally car/truck tires, before visiting other farms, especially if you have known animal/plant pathogens on your own farm. Please refrain from smoking, as well.
- Events are held on farms that may also be homes to dogs, livestock, bees, fire ants, etc. There may be uneven terrain, holes, ditches, and other hazards. Please respect the host farm’s instructions and requests about where you can/can’t go. All attendees are responsible for taking an active role in their own safety. If you have allergies, please bring any medication along with you and let someone know.
For more information, contact us at [email protected] or 256-743-0742.