Statewide Alabama CRAFT Network
What is CRAFT?
CRAFT stands for Collaborative Regional Alliance for Farmer Training. The original CRAFT network formed in upstate New York as a way to provide diverse on-farm training and a shared social network for farm interns, apprentices, and employees. The model has been replicated in many other places, and adapted to meet the needs of each particular place, and we have been doing that right here in Alabama since 2019 when we launched the Central AL CRAFT Network. In 2022 we expanded Statewide and are pleased to offer farmer-to-farmer sustainable agriculture skillshare workshops 1-2 times a month across Alabama.
The Alabama CRAFT Network is made by farmers for farmers and that includes farm employees, owners, interns, apprentices, and aspiring farmers. It is led by a 17-person statewide Farmer Steering Committee who determines and carries our the slate for the year with support from our Farmer Support Coordinator, Charlotte Pate [email protected]. If you are interested in joining the SC, please reach out to Charlotte!
Add CRAFT Calendar to your personal google calendar by clicking here.
The Alabama CRAFT Network is supported through the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) Transition to Organic Partnership Program (TOPP). TOPP is a program of the USDA Organic Transition Initiative and is administered by the USDA Agricultural Marketing Service (AMS) National Organic Program (NOP).
2023-2024 CRAFT Schedule
April 2nd, 2023 Chemical-Free Beekeeping- Florala, AL (South)
- Friday, May 19th from 9:30am-12:30pm and you can click here to register. Animal Care/Sheep Shearing– Gurley, AL
- Saturday, August 26th 6-8:30pm – Central AL CRAFT Social (Attala, AL) click here to register
- Saturday, September 16th 6-8:30pm- Alabama Rice Production and Southern Social (Hayneville) click here to register
- Thursday, September 28th 9-11 am -Southeast Asian Crops in AL Teach-In and Farmer Breakfast (Owens Cross Roads) click here to register
- October 8th, Sunday 9am-2pm Hog Harvest– Nauvoo, AL (North) click here to register
- Thursday, October 12th 10am-1pm-Hemp, Compost, and Organic Food Tasting Workshop (Sawyerville) click here to register
- October 26th 5:30-7pm Choosing a Property Panel (Virtual)
- November/December- 3 Kindling Farm Community Workdays (one per region)
- January 2024-TBD Sustainable Grazing (South)
- January- TBD Farm Business Plan Virtual Workshop (Virtual)
Please keep an eye on this page as well as our Facebook page and Instagram for more details
For more information contact [email protected] / 256-743-0742.