We are pleased to include field trips in our pre-Forum programming this year!! Field trips will take place on Thursday afternoon, December 5. Transportation is NOT provided — participants will be sent details to drive themselves to the field trip site(s), though meeting and carpooling from Camp Beckwith is an option as well. Field trips will begin at 1pm and will last roughly 4 hours.
Field trips will be outdoors, and will take place rain or shine, so come prepared for December weather in coastal Alabama!
COST: $20 per person for youth and adults (14 years and older). Children <13 are free.
SOLD OUT POLICY: Space is limited for field trips. If one is sold out, we will immediately indicate that it is sold out on our registration page and this page as well. Our online registration system will not allow you to register for a sold out event.
CANCELLATION POLICY: ASAN may cancel a field trip if we don’t receive sufficient interest by the registration deadline of 11/12. In such an event, you will be notified immediately and your payment will be refunded in full. You may also transfer your payment to join another field trip if you so choose, space permitting.
CHILDREN: Children are welcome on field trips, though they are solely their guardian/s’ responsibility — child care will not be provided. Children 13 and under are free on field trips.
- If you register for a field trip, don’t forget to also register for a Thursday night meal, if you plan to stay at Beckwith! (Thursday night meals are not included in general registration.)
- Please be mindful of the potential to spread animal/plant pathogens between farms, on footwear/clothing and vehicles. Please clean farm boots, clothing, and car/truck tires, before visiting other farms, especially if you have known animal/plant pathogens on your own farm. Please refrain from smoking, as well.
- Events are held on farms that may also be homes to dogs, livestock, bees, fire ants, etc. There may be uneven terrain, holes, ditches, and other hazards. Please respect the host farm’s instructions and requests about where you can/can’t go. All attendees are responsible for taking an active role in their own safety. If you have allergies, please bring any medication along with you and let someone know.
2019 Field trip options:
- NOMOCO FOOD PARK / AFRICATOWN COMMUNITY – Prichard, AL
- WEEKS BAY FOUNDATION – Fairhope, AL
OPTION 1: NOMOCO FOOD PARK / AFRICATOWN COMMUNITY – Prichard, AL
Description and photos coming soon!
Join the Weeks Bay Foundation for a walking tour through their coastal watershed. The Weeks Bay Foundation is an accredited land trust that has been working to protect critical habitat for the last 30 years. Focusing on lands that provide homes for threatened and endangered species, prevent flooding, and filter stormwater, the
Foundation has saved over 7000 acres of land. The tour will start on a 60-acre property in the headwaters of Fish River as we learn about land use changes and the effects they have on water quality. The group will then explore the boardwalks on Weeks Bay and talk about the importance of estuary systems to our ecology and economy.
The tour will involve extensive walking in wooded habitat and on boardwalks. Attendees are encouraged to wear close-toed shoes and dress comfortably. Bug spray and sunscreen will be provided.