** This event begins the evening of the ASAN Regional Forum to be held in the same location (Camp McDowell in Nauvoo, AL) – ASAN supporters are encouraged to cross-register for the Sierra Club retreat! Those who can’t stay for the whole weekend are encouraged to register for the Friday night cookout (not included in the cost of the Forum) to mix and mingle with arriving Sierra Club supporters! **
Friday, October 28
Sierra Club is teaming up with Alabama Sustainable Agriculture Network- ASAN! Come early on Friday to enjoy ASAN activities sponsored activities! Friday will come to a close with a joint cook-out and evening activities around a campfire.
Saturday, October 29
- Caring for Ourselves and the Earth with our Food Choices
- Saturday morning will be filled with interesting speakers including:
- A Farmers’ Panel – Making Wise Food Choices
- Majadi Baruti, Magic City Agriculture Project – Making Good Food Choices Available for All
- Scott Douglas, Greater Birmingham Ministries – Including Diversity in Our Outreach
A special place will be set aside for a working lunch for Alabama Sierra Student Coalition led by Adam Johnston.
Exciting Adventures for Saturday afternoon:
- Secret Canyon Hike – Led by Maggie Johnston
- Bankhead Hike – Led by Ken and Roe Hyche, Cahaba Group Outiings Leaders
- Bankhead Tree Hike – Led by Dexter Duren, West Alabama Outings Leader
- Beginning Harmonica Lessons – Taught by well-known harmonicist Jamie Finley
- McDowell Farm School Tour
Saturday evening will be an event to remember!
- Dinner – A Farm to Table Feast in the McDowell Farm School Barn – with Live Music And Featuring Alice Evans of Alabama Sustainable Agriculture Network
- Music and Dance – Featuring Red Mountain White Trash
Sunday, October 30
- Cherishing All the Pieces – Kendra Burns, Camp McDowell Naturalist
- Outings and Activities:
- McDowell Farm School Tour
- Geothermal Presentation and Outing – Rev. Mark Johnston, Director, Camp McDowell
- McDowell Tree Hike – Led by Dexter Duren
- Alabama Chapter Sierra Club Executive Committee Meeting – open to all
- Lunch and Fabulous Door Prizes
- Together We Can Do It! – Bob Hastings, Alabama Chapter Chair
- Registration forms will be available at this site mid August – paper registration forms will be mailed the first of September.
- Registration and lodging fees will be reasonable, with a choice of lodging.
- All meals are provided and will feature at least one locally grown item – with the Saturday evening feast featuring all local farm food – thanks to Jeremy Peltz, Camp McDowell Chef.
- A limited number of scholarships will be available – contact Dr. M.H. Hill at [email protected]
This event is not hosted by ASAN. As one of ASAN’s roles is to share information and resources across our network so as to maximize all of our impact, we routinely post events that we ourselves are not hosting. If you have questions regarding this event, please contact event organizers rather than ASAN.