From the organizers:
Join the SFA as we study the work of food in 2019. The Winter Symposium, hosted in Birmingham, Alabama, is February 9.
Featured speakers include:
- Ashley Christensen, the North Carolina restaurateur, speaks of the promises of women-led restaurants
- John Archibald, a 2018 Pulitzer Prize-winner, talks Alabama labor history
- Mayor Randall Woodfin speaks about contemporary possibilities in Birmingham
- Ashley M. Jones presents a suite of poems on food culture and the work of food.
- Melany Robinson of Polished Pig Media and psychologist Patricia Bundy talk restaurant crises and responses
Royal Cup Coffee
with Feizal Valli of The Atomic Lounge
Introduction and Welcome
The Labor of Birmingham
Baking Entrepreneurs of Alabama
An Oral History Conversation
Premiere of newest SFA film
Restaurants in Crisis
Melany Robinson and Patricia Bundy
Lisa Donovan, moderator
Evolution of the Restaurant Family Ideal
Hunter Lewis, moderator
Promises of a Female Led Restaurant
Mary-Frances Heck, moderator
with Feizal Valli
Our opening night party, included in the ticket price, is February 8 at:
Good People Brewing
114 14th St S
Birmingham, AL 35233
Click here for tickets.
This event is not hosted by ASAN. As one of ASAN’s roles is to share information and resources across our network so as to maximize all of our impact, we routinely post events that we ourselves are not hosting. If you have questions regarding this event, please contact event organizers rather than ASAN.